 Star Wars / 2281
Re: TPM Soundtrack tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 06:04:41 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Ryan Dennett writes:
  <clipped a bunch of stuff>
None.  Both of them are illegal.  It is technically illegal (most places)
to make/own/distribute copies of work that is not your own, or that you
have not paid for the right to make/own/distribute.

So technically it was illegal for whoever it was that put DoTF up on the
web to do that??

It depends on who put it up.  You can download it from www.starwars.com, the
holders of the copyright, and they can distribute it however they want.
However, if someone else made it available -->without permission <-- or not
within "fair use", then yes, it was illegal.  I'm not sure about the fuzzy
legality of mirror sites for download purposes, though.

In the case of a CD, presumably you have paid for the right to own a copy.
Most places, this includes the right to make additional copies for your
own personal use, but for distribution  - you can covert it to MP3, play it
on your computer, copy it onto a tape to listen to in your car, put it on a
mixed disk with other music you own a copy of, but as soon as you distribute
copies, you are violating the implicit agreement you made when you bought
the disk.
Distributing copies includes, but is not limited to: posting to the
internet, e-mailing to a friend, lending to your brother, selling for 5
bucks each in the street, etc.

Even lending it to a brother living in the same house??

Technically yes - if you lend him a copy and retain the original, or if you
lend him the original and retain a copy.  If you lend him the only one you
have, then that's ok.
This sounds stupid and pointless, (and to a degree it is) but the reasoning
behind it is thus:  The originator of the work (in this case, Lucasfilm) is
entitled to a certain compensation for provided the work (in this case, a CD)
to the general public.  In this case, that compensation is monetary, and is
generated as a percentage of revenue from CD sales.  If your brother is able to
have the work without purchasing a CD, then the originator is being
inadequately(1) compensated for providing said work.

At least, that's the theory.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: Yeah, I know, I know.  I don't think Lucas would get much sympathy if he
started to while about inadequate compensation. ;-)