 Star Wars / 2272
Re: TPM Soundtrack tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 19:03:38 GMT

On 5/16/99, at 12:51 AM, James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Ryan Dennett writes:
On 5/14/99, at 10:30 PM, Ty B wrote:

I was under the impression that it couldn't be sold or a major section of
it freely distributed.

   Actually, none of it can be freely distributed.  If you look at the
bottom of the back jewel case insert in every CD you own, you should see
something to the effect of:

   "Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws"
   "Unauthorized reproduction of this recording is prohibited by Federal
law and subject to criminal prosecution"
   "Unauthorized reproduction, copying, lending, hiring, public= • performance
and broadcasting prohibited"

   US copyright law is somewhat lax in that you are permitted to make a
single copy of any media you personally own for archival purposes (read:
mixing tapes, backing up floppies) but the act of distributing copyrighted
material is of course unlawful, whether you charge for it or not.

So I can convert them to some other format, but I have to leave them on
my computer, is that correct??
Assuming that other people do not have access to them, yes, that's ok.

OK one other question, a while back I had come across a midi site on the
net and they had theme songs from a bunch of movies and TV shows and
also musicians(-the vocals), wouldn't this be illegal then. And what about
Probably.  A very high percentage of that sort of thing is technically illegal
- (sound files, pictures, movie clips, sound bytes).
having DoTF on a website, wouldn't that also be illegal. I just want to= • Yes it would.
know what the difference is.

None.  Both of them are illegal.  It is technically illegal (most places) to
make/own/distribute copies of work that is not your own, or that you have not
paid for the right to make/own/distribute.

So technically it was illegal for whoever it was that put DoTF up on the web to
do
that??

In the case of a CD, presumably you have paid for the right to own a copy.
Most places, this includes the right to make additional copies for your own
personal use, but for distribution  - you can covert it to MP3, play it on your
computer, copy it onto a tape to listen to in your car, put it on a mixed disk
with other music you own a copy of, but as soon as you distribute copies, you
are violating the implicit agreement you made when you bought the disk.
Distributing copies includes, but is not limited to: posting to the internet,
e-mailing to a friend, lending to your brother, selling for 5 bucks each in the
street, etc.

Even lending it to a brother living in the same house??
Thanks for the info. I just didn't see how it was illegal if posting DoTF on the
web wasn't. Thanks again.
Ryan
"Build or build not. There is no try." - Lego Master Yoda