 Star Wars / 17351
Re: Indy AFOL Knights win ISD building tournament @ Celebration III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:51:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

   I think Joe was the main sorter.

For the instruction book as well. Never have so many instruction books died for such a noble cause.

   I really don’t know how the work was divided up, because they were on the other end of the table.

That was something I completely failed to appreciate. Building the lower bridge became second nature, portions memorized... but I have absolutely no idea how anything else is put together.

   Meyer made a few small mistakes, but we can forgive him... come on, HE’S ONLY SIX!

Not to mention he only made over 100 greeble strips during the course of the event.

   I’m not really sure what David did...

From my point of view he kept finding parts that I couldn’t, while Ben was yelling in the background “Dad, I *need* those 1x10’s!!”.

   Brian & Ben worked on the lower bridge. It’s pretty clear Ben was the builder of the two. I’m sure when Brian grows up, he’ll be able to build like ... oh, wait... I mean when Ben grows up (turns 8)... ... no, Brian’s already in trouble...

HEY!! Now just hold on for one darn second here! The first build Ben and I were *both* building in parallel on the lower bridge. I probably did *most* of the building on that match... huh... You know, now that I think about it, that was our slowest build, wasn’t it? Hmmm... no, I’m sure it was coincidence that the more of the building I turned over to Ben, the faster our times were. Yeah, that’s it, pure coincidence. Well, at least I can instantly distinguish a 2x10 from a 2x12 at a distance of 6 feet. Play to your strengths.

   One major factor in our winning was Jason & David’s knowledge of the ISD.

Absolutely, as well as how well they communicated that knowledge to the rest of us. Jason helped Ben & I on all three builds, catching small errors in our structure, integrating our portion into the main structure, etc. There were *no* optional team members, and everyone did a fantastic job.

   Steve Hassenplug, Lafayette, IN

I just stood there. Sometimes I handed Jason parts... Mostly, I just waited for him to finish, so I could tell our team we were done,...

Steve is being far too modest here. He did a LOT more that just “hand Jason some parts”. He repeatedly noted, loudly and in public, about how much faster Ben was building than I. He constantly tried to win the LEGO-sponsored trivia contests by yelling out answers while he was *supposed* to be helping Jason (Announcer: “What color was Mace Windu’s lightsaber?” Steve:”Pink!!”). He noted on more than one occassion that everyone was waiting for the lower bridge to be complete, and who was that that was supposed to be building it again? In fact the crowd around us was probably more entertained by the “Team Indy Knights” monolog than by our building prowess. Heck, he never even gave our end of the table credit for singing “I’ve been working on the I-S-D, all the live-long day...” (it could have been worse; I was working up to “99 greebles all built on the floor, 99 greebles all built; you pick one up, pass it to Steve, 98 greebles all built on the floor...”.

   ...and were going to go looking for Princess Leah, in her slave costume...

See! I *knew* you weren’t thinking about the ISD on that final build... OK, after seeing that girl in that outfit, well, neither was I. Even Ben commented that he wished the “slave Leia” had been the one giving out the medalions.

   Lucky for us, there was no evidence left of a small mistake in the build...

After that “splash” there was little evidence that there ever *was* a build. That particular incarnation of the ISD was slightly... fragile.

   One of the funny hilights was after our first round, when the other team came over and asked if they could have their picture taken with our ship... :)

...and in return, I have a couple pictures of some of our team clustered around the other teams table, pretending to be building.

   I can’t wait for the Death Star timed-builds...

And what I’d really like to see is timed Death Star head-to-head builds... *before* the set is released, so that *nobody* on any team knows what they’re doing :-).

-- Brian Davis