 Star Wars / 17347
Re: Indy AFOL Knights win ISD building tournament @ Celebration III
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:47:32 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Gregory wrote:
   LEGO had a booth at Star Wars Celebration III this past weekend in Indianapolis. One of the activities that they had there was an Imperial Star Destroyer speed build tournament. Eight teams (4 Jedi, 4 Sith) of ten people each competed in a single-elimination bracket style tournament to see who could build the 10030 ISD set the fastest.

This was very different from the builds done by AFOLs in the past. Mostly because the entire build had to be done using just one 8x4 foot table (really, two 8x2 tables with a crack in the middle). Both teams were packed into the LEGO booth, so there was no room on the floor, or walking around the table.

But, also because the time really didn’t matter. It was a head-to-head competition, so each time, we only had to be faster than one other team (the one we were competing against.) There were several people keeping us posted on our progress (vs the other team), so at times we were able to relax and make sure we did it right.

   I’m happy to announce that the Indy AFOL Knights (a Jedi team) won the competition!

Our team consisted of:
Joe Greene, Indianapolis, IN (Team Captain)

I think Joe was the main sorter. He had all the small non-kibble pieces. He also cranked out several small sub-assemblies.

   Justin Makemson, Bloomington IN
Lora Makemson, Bloomington, IN (1st and 3rd Rounds) Kyle Dialy, Bloomington, IN (2nd round) Tim Fallowfield, Indianapolis, IN

This team worked on the upper and lower panels. I really don’t know how the work was divided up, because they were on the other end of the table. I DO know whenever we were ready for panels, there were always panels ready for us.

   Meyer Makemson, Bloomington, IN

Grebble/kibble fest. In the last round (during our third build) he made a few small mistakes, but we can forgive him... come on, HE’S ONLY SIX!

   David “Fuzzy” Gregory, Lafayette, IN

I’m not really sure what David did. I know the upper bridge alway appeared on the table in front of him. And, if I needed a big part, he gave it to me as soon as I asked.

   Brian Davis, South Bend, IN Ben Davis, South Bend, IN

These two worked on the lower bridge. It’s pretty clear Ben was the builder of the two. I’m sure when Brian grows up, he’ll be able to build like ... oh, wait... I mean when Ben grows up (turns 8)... ... no, Brian’s already in trouble...

   Jason Gorber, Toronto, Canada

Jason considered himself the outsider. Noone else felt that way about him. We didn’t hold the fact that he’s from Toronto against him. Jason built all the structure of the ship & did final assembly, and in our last build, he also helped David with the bridge, and Brian & Ben with the lower bridge. One major factor in our winning was Jason & David’s knowledge of the ISD.

   Steve Hassenplug, Lafayette, IN

I just stood there. Sometimes I handed Jason parts. Sometimes those parts were sub-assemblies. Mostly, I just waited for him to finish, so I could tell our team we were done, and were going to go looking for Princess Leah, in her slave costume...

Our next match was Saturday at 1:00. The Jedi team that we went up against in that round was our toughest competition in the tournament. However, we won and shortened our time to 1 hour, 32 minutes. (Sorry, I didn’t get any pics from our second match. The opposing team didn’t have many pieces left to assemble though.)

The reason David didn’t get any pictures was because after we won that round, Jason & Brian flew the ship around the crowd, before bringing it back and dropping it on the table. Lucky for us, there was no evidence left of a small mistake in the build...

   After our victory LEGO awarded us a Darth Vader model and gave each of us a Darth Vader medallion.

Actually, I think they grabbed a Princess out of the crowd, and she did a wonderful job of presenting the awards.

I’m very proud of our team for working well together and giving it their all.

Several of the teams (and other people) asked how much we praticed, because the teamwork was very good.

   Both Jedi and Sith alike had a fun time, and friendly sportsmanship was displayed by everyone who competed.

One of the funny hilights was after our first round, when the other team came over and asked if they could have their picture taken with our ship... :)

It was a bunch of fun. I can’t wait for the Death Star timed-builds...

Steve