 Star Wars / 17172
Re: Incorrect Links on SW Sidebar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:45:36 GMT

Hi, Lenny!

In lugnet.starwars, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   -snip a bunch!-
   As far as I’m concerned, this discussion is over. The truth is, I don’t feel like defending myself anymore against people I hardly even know, and who hardly know me well enough to make assumptions as to the quality of my sense of humor or my ability to keep personal feelings out of a discussion of facts and logic. If people are looking to pick a fight, go look somewhere else. I’m not interested.

Mike,

First let me say that I have deep respect for your building ability, and I have wanted to meet you in person for a while. When you said you were going to BrickFest, I cheered. When you said that you couldn’t make it, I cried. So, to sum up, I believe you are a rational person who is nice at heart - even though we have never met. Hopefully, you feel the same towards me.

But you replied to my fairly short post with a page’s worth of writing - you are emotionally involved in this.. even if you say you are not.

I tend to be a little wordy. ;) Both in real life and when typing, whenever I’m in a situtation where I am either trying to explain something, answer a sensitive question, or point out details, I’ve just got a habit of trying to get every single thought down so as to touch on every single angle of the topic. Since I can never be too sure when or if I’ll get a change to respond again (I’ve got a very strange schedule), I make it a point to put down every last bit of information that I think someone would possibly need in order to understand my point. I always just ere on the side of caution and put down more than less. And, not always knowing the familiarity of the reader with certain expressions or phrases (especially in an international forum like this), I opt to say things the “long” way, just in case. I was just trying to be thorough, but I can see how a lengthy post (especially in a casual, fun online community) might come across as somewhat overwhelming and overbearing.

   The fact is that Rob knew Amado’s real name - his question was a joke - Rob spoke to this effect. A poorly created joke because anyone who didn’t know Rob probably didn’t get it (As evidenced by Todd and your posts).

But the question is - why is it so important to call Kevin out? I suspect that it really isn’t, and that maybe something else is to play.

You’re right, it really isn’t. And I apologize to everyone involved if my long and directed posts in this thread have given a different impression.

The fact is, I don’t even really enjoy “serious Mike” all that much, either. ;) I much prefer my usual forum posting style of quick, sharp and freakily odd humor. For what it’s worth, in my own personal life, I’ve had to get used to being able to switch gears from the furthest extremes of “serious” and “fun” at a moment’s notice an inordinate amount of times. So, with me, there tends to be little of an in between, just “on” and “off.” I think the contrast, particularly when applied to posting, can give the false impression of being overly invested in a subject. I wasn’t trying to be overly serious or intense -- it was just “serious Mike.” (“Bad Serious Mike! Bad! I spank you! Now, get back in your cage!”) :D

   But you are right, lets put this behind ourselves, say Kevin is a dirty jerkhead, and think about when we can all get together and laugh about this in person over some cold beers.

-Lenny

Not a jerkhead, but maybe a Dirty Brickster! :p

And, you got it. However, cold beer is for sipping. I can chug much faster when it’s room temperature. ;)

-Mike

   PS. I got a returned message when I tried to email you at the address you post to Lugnet from. You should update that email, as is required in the ToS.

When AT&T Broadband switched to Comcast over a year ago, I went into my profile here and changed my email. But, whenever I tried typing in my Comcast email into box up top when typing a new post, it would never accept the email -- I would click post, but it would tell me I entered in the wrong address. But, in my LUGNET profile, it shows the newer Comcast email address. I usually post a link to my website in my sig, from which the newer email addresses is accessible, but my site has been down for a while, and since I haven’t built anything new in a while, and thus haven’t posted here much lately, I didn’t think not including the link to my page (with the newer email address) would be too much of a problem. Plus, email sent to the AT&T address has always just been forwarded automatically by Comcast to the new address. I usually get all sorts of automated junkmail from Comcast, some of which is mildly informative, but most which is not. Now that I look at a few of the more recent ones, I see that they mention that as of the new year they are no longer forwarding email sent to the old AT&T addresses. That must be why your message didn’t get through. Maybe this is something Todd might be able to help me with? (Or. maybe I’m just not updating the address in the proper place?) THANX!