 Star Wars / 17166
Re: Incorrect Links on SW Sidebar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:57:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.curators, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   The person who made the post gets to have his say, without ever taking responsibility for himself or his words by stepping up to the plate and honestly and intelligently explaining himself. If people are going to make posts, they should expect that other people are going to respond. My response was valid, and I would like to see what comes of it, if anything.

I’d refer you to this post.

Essentially, Kevin said it was a joke because he knows Rob, and Rob told him it was a joke.

What Kevin said specifically was “Once upon a time, there was a thing called a “joke”...” and I’m not sure how you have the right to demand that he explain himself. The explanation would be, presumably, ‘I said it was a joke because it was a joke.’ Is there need for explanation beyond this?

Yes. The point is, Rob’s post was not a joke, but rather contained joking language to make two distinct points: (1.) that he didn’t know ACPin’s name, and that (2.) that he thought ACPin’s website could use some redesigning. My point of contention is that Kevin was using an edited version of my post, leaving out the part with Todd’s quote. My post to Rob was to show him that, in addition to the two ways Todd told him that he could discover the name of the author of ACPin’s post, there was a third way, which is to look at the part of the post that I very clearly pointed out with an arrow. Kevin’s post had nothing to do with Rob’s main points, one of which my post was answering. Kevin chose to respond to my post by removing a vital part of it and making some comment afterwards that not only had nothing to do with my post to Rob, but also taken by itself added nothing whatsoever constructively to the thread (a thread about updating the links on the sidebar of the LUGNET Star Wars page).

   I get the feeling you are responding to Kevin’s sometimes caustic posts elsewhere and his failure (?) to explain this. I don’t think it is necessarily required here to call him out on this - why not find the posts that have bothered you in the past and call him out on those?

If that’s the feeling you are getting, then that’s your prerogative. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean that anything I’ve said can logically lead you to that conclusion.

If there has ever been a post of Kevin’s that has bothered me in the past, I have responded directly to him regarding it. I’m not calling him out here on some unrelated post that he might have made on some other forum or website simply because that might be in the back of my mind. That would be irresponsible of me. Anything I said to Kevin in my posts in this thread was a direct response to what he said in this thread.

If you say that Kevin has made “caustic posts elsewhere,” then I believe you. But, to bring that up here doesn’t exactly support any kind of argument for him. Nor is it appropriate or polite to assume that I might be shallow enough to use outside, unrelated information as my motivation for posting here. The only time I referred to anything other that this specific thread when speaking to Kevin here was at the end of my last message, where I paralleled his posts in this thread to those he has made in the past on FBTB. But, I was a part of those threads, and had addressed him personally in them. So, I have every right to reference those threads, and use them as examples that both he and I will understand. If the meaning behind this particular outside reference is lost on others, that is not my fault. This is a discussion between Kevin and I, so it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

   -Lenny

I’m having a hard time with all of this. For some reason, everyone thinks I’m just leaping out of nowhere, pouncing on Kevin, and trying to trash on him because of some imaginary hidden agenda. What the heck is going on here? What do you people think of me? Where have I anywhere in this thread said anything that is inappropriate or unwarranted given the comments made within the confines of it? What is with this “lighten up” talk? What does that have to do with anything? What does that have to do with me? I don’t assume to know much at all about the little conversations and dramas that go on here at LUGNET, or on other sites. All I know is FBTB, and the handful of threads I have participated on other websites from time to time. If there is some kind of insidious past revolving around Kevin, and some secret reason why people feel the need to question my motives for making a very simple series of posts here, than I simply don’t get it. I’m not interested in causing trouble. And, I’m not mad at anyone. I’ve got more important things to do and worry about, and more fun things, too. If people want to keep coming out of the woodwork and poking their noses into this thread, trying to pick apart my posts and put words in my mouth, then I can’t stop them. But, I would just like to say that I don’t think I deserve it. If Kevin wants to write back to me, then that’s fine – I’ll be glad to keep discussing this with him personally. But, it’s when a bunch of outsiders start tossing their two cents into the mix that things start to get complicated, messy and uncomfortable. I certainly didn’t do anything on purpose to make anyone upset. Nor, have I yet to see anyone show me precisely what part of any of my posts were inappropriate or uncalled for. I’m just a guy who likes to play with LEGO and talk about LEGO with my friends online. I don’t go out looking for trouble. I’m not sure why trouble seems to be coming here looking for me.

As far as I’m concerned, this discussion is over. The truth is, I don’t feel like defending myself anymore against people I hardly even know, and who hardly know me well enough to make assumptions as to the quality of my sense of humor or my ability to keep personal feelings out of a discussion of facts and logic. If people are looking to pick a fight, go look somewhere else. I’m not interested.

-Mike