 Star Wars / 17171
Re: Incorrect Links on SW Sidebar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:29:23 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   A poorly created joke because anyone who didn’t know Rob probably didn’t get it (As evidenced by Todd and your posts).

I think even if you do know Rob, the “joke” is still a poorly created one.

If you have reason to suspect that someone has provided a false name (in violation of the ToS), public accusations really aren’t the way to go -- unless you’re really sure that a false identity has been provided -- but even then, it’s risky because you could always be wrong. Obviously, if someone gives the name “James Bond” or “William Churchill,” we can be pretty sure there’s a very high probability that they’re lying. But for names that simply sound unusual to us because we don’t hear them often (or ever) in the circles we go in, usually a simple Google search for a given surname or first name will show, more often than not, that an unusual sounding name is often a real one and not made-up one. Conversely, if someone provides a name that is sounds common and real, there is obviously no guarantee that they’re not lying about their name, but I feel it is a very serious thing to call someone a liar.

I knew well that Rob wasn’t serious, and that he already knew how to find someone’s name in their post. The thing is, I just don’t see any humor in questioning someone’s name or identity.

--Todd