 Star Wars / 16779
Re: 2004 Alpha Team: The Good, the Bad, and the Jack Stone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:23:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Another thing to remember is that the click hinge "clicks" and therefore
means that you can position canopies and whatever else in an "open" position.
Which is better for "playability"

You could position the old finger-hinges in an "open" position as well.  The
only big advantage I've found for the click-hinges is that depending on
variation of the click hinges that you have (earlier ones had really floppy
click-action, and later ones have stiff click-action), click-hinge landing gear
can support a small craft without additional bracing.  Now, my Jedi Starfighter
is old enough that it has the old floppy click-hinges, so bumping it usually
results in at least one of the three landing gear collapsing.  Newer
click-hinges are stiff enough that this doesn't appear to be a problem anymore.
The downside is that the cockpits became so stiff that a dual-hinge cockpit
tends to rip the connecting hinge pieces off if they aren't addequately
reinforced with pieces both above and below them.

BTW, for those of you who collect the SW sets, they did eventually modify the
canopy used for Zam's speeder so it clicks into the closed position.  I picked
up a 2nd copy when Meijer was clearancing them and it has an inner pair of teeth
that my original canopy did not.