 General / 48115
Re: 2004 Alpha Team: The Good, the Bad, and the Jack Stone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:12:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Simmons wrote:

I also don't like the fact that click-hinges are
continuing to replace fingered hinge pieces in sets across the board.  I
don't mind click-hinges as an option, but they are not a suitable
replacement for fingered hinges because they have different structural
restrictions when it comes to building with them (especially the 1x4
plates!).

I completely agree with this point,  The various click-hinges were cool when I
first got them in the 1999 X-Wing set, but they spread like kudzu to overtake
every hinge application under the sun!  They're versatile, yes, and they have
the nice lock-in-position feature, but IMO they're not a perfect substitute for
the old-fashioned finger-based hinges.

I don't know that the patent is at issue here; MEGABLOKS has its own range of
hinge elements, none of which matches the classic LEGO finger hinge design.

I think Mr. Wilson hit it on the head in this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=48114
Perceived playability is probably the lead motivating factor.

Dave!