 General / 48113
Re: 2004 Alpha Team: The Good, the Bad, and the Jack Stone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more.  I have said it before and I will say it
again, I think the move to click hinges is a bad move on the part of TLC.
Some of my previous comments on click hinges:

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=44218
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=19740

It is hard for me to imagine a good "technical reason" for the change to so
many parts from the fingered hinges to click hinges so I can only imagine it
is for patent and intellectual property protection purposes.  IMNSHO the
move to click hinges across the line of hinged elements is much worse than
the color change is.

I bought a MegaBlok Alien Agency set on sale (to compare colors) and
noticed it came with a nice old style finger hinge.  It works quite well,
even though it's made of inferior plastic.  So you're probably right
about the patent.  If so, it's just another example of bad thinking.
Patenting a product degredation is not gonna protect the bottom line.

Oh well.  Has anyone tried grinding off the clickers for a smoother
hinge action?  That might solve the problem where the hinge part
detaches instead of bumping over the next click point.

Have fun,

Don