 General / 48118
Re: 2004 Alpha Team: The Good, the Bad, and the Jack Stone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:31:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:
I don't know that the patent is at issue here; MEGABLOKS has its own range of
hinge elements, none of which matches the classic LEGO finger hinge design.

Are you sure about that?  They may not be the exact same parts, but
the hinge fingers sure look like a match.  I'll have to test it though.
I'd bet Lego has a patent on the new click hinge finger design, in
addition to any patents on the hinged parts themselves.

Oops.  Perhaps my wording was vague, but you're correct.  The fingers are indeed
compatible, though the bricks/plates themselves are not overly similar.  I would
guess that they're not sufficiently idential to be in danger of patent
infringement.

Now that I think of it, though, MEGABLOKS had an exactly compatible 1x3 plate
with 3 fingers in its Motor Sport product line a number of years ago, but I
don't think that this part exists in any current MEGABLOKS products.  Perhaps it
was discontinued to pre-empt any patent issues?

If LEGO does have a patent on the click-hinge concept, then they'd better start
policing it!  Hasbro's BTR line uses a nearly-identical concept, and even
MEGABLOKS introduced a type of click-hinge with its Blok-Bots line (though this
latter design was drastically different from LEGO's, of course).

Dave!