 Star Wars / 16181
Re: Official: UCS Snowspeeder and *New* Millennium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:16:34 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Brown wrote:
In lugnet.starwars, Mark Papenfuss wrote:

Yes, that is true. BUT..... I rather have parts from a new set, not an old set
with a slightly new spin on it. This MF among others is not a new set, its a old
set with a "new and improved" label on it.

I just hope this is a road Lego is not planning on going down much further.

Yeah, it sure would stink if they started putting out different versions of the
same things.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=train+station
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=police+station

Even though those are all in spirit the same thing, they were put out far enough
apart and are different enough to not really fall into this. Lets look at those
sets real quick, since we are dealing with system sets I will deal with that.

Train Station:
According to the link there has been 3 train stations. I was thinking about
adding the train shed to that, but a shed is different from a station. Plus I
will add the new World City train station.

1st Station: 1983
2nd Station: 1996
3rd Station: 1999
4th Station: 2003

Police Station:
According to the link shown there is only 2 police stations made in system. And
I know there is one in World City no tlisted in that link, so I will add that to
the list.

1st Station: 1979
2nd Station: 1983
3rd Station: 2003

The rest for both are Duplo and Fabuland stations, neither do sysytem builders
much good and did not go after the same market.

And I am by far a set expert, so if I missed any sets let me be the first to say
I am sorry. Feel free to come in and show me more police stations and train
stations.

There is a big enough gap between those that really a new set of customers would
be buying them. I know in 1979 and 1983 I was alive, but not thinking about
getting a Lego police station, same deal with the train stations.

But do we really need a recycled set with a revamped look just about 3 years
down the line after the first ones were put out, and only about 2 years after
they were taken away?

Same deal with Bionicle - They came out with the Toa and then came out with the
Toa Nuva while the Toa were still on the shelves. Did we need that? Nope. Same
deal with the Bohrok and the Bohrok Kal. Granted the Toa Nuva and the Bohrok Kal
were the 'next step' in the storyline, but they were the same set with a few
different parts.

Basically, I want a new SW set, not one I have already despite any 'new and
exciting' parts it may have. I want Lego to put time, money and effort into a
new SW set, not to polish up old sets. And I do not think I am wrong for wanting
that.

Thats just IMHO, not saying it should be yours ;)

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com