 Star Wars / 15737
Re: AT-AT online at S@H
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 20:46:02 GMT

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Allan Bedford wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't remember seeing speeder bikes during the Hoth
battle scenes?  I could be wrong, but didn't they first appear in Jedi?

I believe so, but I think subsequent reference works (Incredible
Cross-sections, etc.) say that the AT-AT carries a few.

Regardless... I think a really neat idea would have been to include a rebel
snow speeder along with the AT-AT.  The model has already been designed and
no new parts would be needed.  As well, the instructions are already
documented.  It's not a huge model (just by itself) so it wouldn't have
added greatly to the overall size of this set.  And by including it, you
would really be able to recreate the Hoth battle scenes.

I thought so to---actually not as a part of this set, but as an additional
set in the line.  Certainly a snowspeeder (or three)  would be a great
add-on for the AT-AT.  Also, since Luke comes with the AT-AT, we could
finally get Wedge Antilles and Wes Janson instead of that Skywalker dweeb.

This actually made me think about some of the oddity of how sets are being
released for the Star Wars line.  I mean, currently what I think of as the
three essential Star Wars ships (the X-Wing, the TIE Fighter, and the
Millenium Falcon) are not currently available (in minifig scale).  The TIE
X-1 was the only Imperial fighter relased by the time TLC had release all
four major Rebel fighters.   Now TLC is releasing the AT-AT (at a time
when it will compete with the AT-TE), and has no complementary sets on the
market (Snowspeeder, Hoth cannons or base storytellers, AT-ST with
Snowtrooper drivers, even Tauntaun patrol).  When I think about it, I'm
seeing a weird pattern of sets being released without a clear way to
interact with other available sets.  It's very strange.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/