 Star Wars / 14175
Re: Lando poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:43:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
Lenny Hoffman brought up an interesting observation back in February, which
is that outside of LEGO, sometimes the color yellow is indeed intended to
signify caucasian skin tones.  His example was the TV show The Simpsons.

Light skinned chracters like the Simpson family are always shown as yellow,
whereas darker skinned characters like Apu, Carl Carlson, Dr. Hibbert and
Lou the cop are shown with darker skin shades.

Wow.. and I never knew anyone cared...

but to add something: yellow (like in the Simpsons) only denotes 'lighter skin
tones', which includes not only caucasians, but also japanese, native
americans, etc.  The benefit to this point of view is that TLC would only
require making people in two plastic hues: Yellow and Brown, and that
specifics about racial heritage can be otherwise ignored (thus keeping true to
their 'togetherness' theme).

In short, there doesn't need to be the endless "shades" issue.  Brown plastic
minifigs can be introduced at a relatively easy/painless way.

Someone else on LUGNET also brought up a good thing to keep in mind, which
is that when minifigs were first introduced, there were only a small number
of colors LEGO had to choose from: red, blue, yellow, black, and white.

In the old LEGO homemaker line of "maxifigs", there were yellow 'figs and
there were also red 'figs to represent "Indians":

http://www.beepworld.de/memberdateien/members22/mbet/redindians11.jpg

At LEGOLAND Parks, yellow is commonly used in larger sculptures to represent
people with lighter skin tones:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/conradf/Legoland-CA/Statues/vip02.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/EARL-0/temp/DEUTCHLAND-TRAVEL/DAY3/dsc01106. • jpg

...although in Miniland, different skin tones are portrayed using tan for
lighter skin and brown for darker skin, and black for especially dark skin:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bl/Photos/BricksWest2002/Miniland/dscn3385.j • pg

Do Miniland figures somehow NOT promote "togetherness"?  Is making all skin
tones into yellow the kind of togetherness we really want?

Just some thoughts...

-Rev. Smith

Wow, I never expected to see real evidence in such a emotionally charged.  This
is some tough stuff to consider.  I'm growing more and more convinced that
brown minifigs would be a good thing.

Also I think by creating a play world that simply ignores issues of race
doesn't necessarily equal 'togetherness.' Especially when other sources of
evidence (Simpsons, etc) really point to yellow=cartoon light skin.

I wonder whether or not any Black AFOL's agree that yellow is a good color for
all minifigs, or if they think brown plastic minifigs might be better.

Also I think the Naboo Flashspeeder (featuring an unnamed Naboo security
officer.. possibly a yellow Capt. Typho?) and the TIE Fighter (featuring a
faceless brown minifig head) was LEGO's way of testing the waters with this
divisive issue.

peace
_lenny