 Star Wars / 13835
Re: The ISD Pursuer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason S. Mantor writes:
Wow !  You beat me to it and did an awesome job !  I gotta know how you got
it to work structurally.
I made a few attempts, but they either didn't get the angles quite right or
were too fragile.  Any chance you
could pull the plates off one side and take pics of the skeleton ?

It took a lot of trial and error.  The frame inside isn't much of a
skeleton, but more like a 'T.'  It's more fragile than any of the UCS sets,
but solid enough for me to pick up, flip upside down, and put back down.
Here are some pics I took while building:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jjardine/ISD/ISDConstruction/cinside.jpg
Here, the frame is attached to the top half (which is on the left in the
picture).  It is connected to the plates at two points, each with two 2x1
bricks with axle holes.  The front pair are green.  The bottom half was
eventually attached the same way.
The design was slightly changed after this pic.  The frame was shortened in
the nose, so I could attach the top &bottom plates to the sidewalls with
technic hose (terrific for connecting beams/pins at weird angles!).  And the
sidewall shown was completely scrapped (too fat).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jjardine/ISD/ISDConstruction/coutside.jpg
Top view taken at the same time as the first pic.  On the left you can see
the technic #5 elbow, which is resting on an alligator hinge, which is
resting on the frame.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jjardine/ISD/ISDConstruction/crear.jpg
In this pic, you can just see the black alligator hinge (it's under the grey
2x3 slope).  The hinge is open a tiny bit.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jjardine/ISD/ISDConstruction/cside.jpg
A view of the sidewall.  Using technic beams allowed me to make it slightly
thinner.

Thanks everyone for the compliments, and for making this my first post to
make the Lugnet "Top Stories" list!

Jeff J