 Star Wars / 12473
Re: The decline of "From Bricks to Bothans"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:11:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello.

Let's start this at the top, shall we?  Yes, I did indeed come out and tell
everyone that if they were to wait that FBTB would bring home the best
possible coverage of the SW line.

And that obviously didn't happen.  I dropped the ball.  What people don't
know is that going into the showroom that day I had reason to believe that
LEGO was backing off of the SW line.  After talking to the various PR
members that were there that day and finding out that there wasn't going to
be anything else coming it left me suddenly with little desire to mess with
the SW product.  I didn't find out until later that my fears were unfounded.
So I'll publicly apologize for shooting off my mouth and then failing to
back it up - but everyone knows it is not the norm of neither myself nor the
site.

Truth be told, I am having trouble focusing on SW.  The year long layoff
that LEGO took from the line affected my interests more than I would like to
admit to.  It is exceedingly difficult to provide daily content like we try
to when there is no product around.

I'm afraid there is a bit of a misunderstanding here though - I never said
that LEGO would provide anything through FBTB.  I hold no exclusive
agreements with them.  The fact that I do not allow discussion of leaked
materials on my forums is my business and mine alone.  I apologize if it has
come across that I am shoving 'Respect the Brick' down your throat.  It's
just a simple catch phrase that I try to abide by.

I removed the thread that had been started on my boards because I felt it
was in poor taste to 'call me out' on my own boards when it was something
that could have been handled through email.  Believe me when I say that you
and your friend are not the only ones disappointed with how I handled TF.
But I would hope that my track record over the last two years plus would
help to alleviate some of this concern.

To Scott - I can assure you that you're incorrect in some of your
judgements.  I am far from privy to 'confidential information' - I believe
the only major announcement that we've *ever* truly had was the Blockade
Runner and Maul bust, and those items we're given to me by Brad Justus the
*very day* that we were allowed to use them.

And for the umpteenth time, LEGO holds ZERO control over what I do.  Why
should I post leaked information when I'll just get an email from them
asking me to take it down?!?  Why would I go and show EpII sets before they
are supposed to be shown when the limited interaction that I've had with
LEGO has shown them to be exceedingly kind to me?

No one ever listens to this point and I'm not sure why.  But 'Respecting the
Brick' is something that I came up with on my own.  There is no under the
table deal going on.  I'm sorry to disappoint you.

I'm not sure when FBTB was ever non-conformist.  But you most assuredly
won't find me becoming a rule breaker.

I, and those who work with me, do the best we can.  It has indeed been a bit
rough of late but we are working to bring things around.

And thanks for the positive note, Matthew - it's nice to know I/we still
have some support out there.

I don't think we're in decline - last time I looked at the numbers we were
actually doing better than ever.  Hopefully I can get my head back in the
game and we can keep it that way.

Tim Saupé
Webmaster, FBTB.net
http://www.fbtb.net