 Star Wars / 12471
Re: The decline of "From Bricks to Bothans"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:20:07 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Matthew Gerber writes:

Alfred,

I think you need to respect what Tim and the gang are doing at FBTB...it is
a fan site, run by folks with real lives, families and jobs. It is through
their rabid fandom that FBTB operates, and their respect for the brick that
earns them the special treatment they receive from The LEGO Company.

Truth be told, it is the fault of LEGO, who has seen fit to produce their
Star Wars line with such a stuttering, start and stop momentum, that keeps
FBTB from having the kind of news and coverage you seem to expect.

I will ask you this though, what have YOU done to advance the FBTB site, to
better the experience for everyone, to help out the few busy individuals who
devote their free time to get you the news you want?

It's a fan world...respect the fans and their efforts.

Tim and all...keep up the great work for just as long as you like...I'll
continue to make my daily visit to FBTB to see what's new.

Matt

Yes, all good points, and I appreciate that they do all these things on
their free time.  I can't say that I have done a lot for FBTB particularly,
except what I do here -- participate in the discussions.  I am not opposed
to the "Respect the Brick" philosophy, and I certainly have respected the
way Tim wants to run his discussions.  I have never been a fan of those who
want to post leaks on his site, and I go elsewhere when I want that kind of
info.  That said, I think there is some merit to the idea that Tim (and
others, its not all him alone) had made some pretty specific promises about
what we as fans should expect from respecting the brick.  Notably Tim would
be providing us with such a good experience - opening the sets and finding
out what they can do and giving images from multiple angles - that
respecting the brick would be an obvious choice.

My thought is that it is no longer so obvious.  And lets face it, would Lego
care about FBTB if there _weren't_ people like me who wanted to go to his
site and find out what his thoughts are?

-Alfred