 Star Wars / 12470
Re: The decline of "From Bricks to Bothans"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 21:48:03 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Alfred Speredelozzi writes:
Hello all,

I am writing to see if anyone else has noticed that a very popular Star Wars
Lego website (FBTB.net) seems to be in a decline.  I mention this because I
am a fairly disillusioned fan of FBTB.  Now, if you haven't been to the
site, you may not understand, but in the past it has been an awesome
resource for info on the Star Wars Lego line.  The creators have always had
the quickest and (more importantly) the MOST complete coverage of news on SW
Lego.

Now, over the past 6 months or so, many SW Lego fans have been dying to know
what they can buy next.  And fans of FBTB have been reading constantly about
how we should "Respect the brick" and not discuss the many leaked photos of
the Ep II lego line.  The reason we should do this?  Because Lego would be
respecting us back by providing the site operators with just tons of
information about the new line.  This would all come out at the 2002 toy
fair, and the FBTB coverage was billed as the best possible coverage.

In fact, what happened was that Lego and Starwars.com did their own release
just prior to Toy Fair, while many of us were patiently wondering what
goodies would be left to be discovered.  Then Toy Fair hit, and I must say,
I found that the coverage on Sir Steve's guide, Starwars.com and
RebelScum.com to all be much better.  Granted FBTB had better Harry Potter
coverage, and that was nice, but that isn't the point of the site.

So, the point of this thread (if anyone cares to make it a thread) is to
stimulate discussion about the current state of FBTB.  Now, that site has
its own discussion forum, and I would post there to get more germane
comments, but a friend of mine posted there about this very issue and had
his posts deleted by the administration.

Thanks for listening.

Alfred,

I think you need to respect what Tim and the gang are doing at FBTB...it is
a fan site, run by folks with real lives, families and jobs. It is through
their rabid fandom that FBTB operates, and their respect for the brick that
earns them the special treatment they receive from The LEGO Company.

Truth be told, it is the fault of LEGO, who has seen fit to produce their
Star Wars line with such a stuttering, start and stop momentum, that keeps
FBTB from having the kind of news and coverage you seem to expect.

I will ask you this though, what have YOU done to advance the FBTB site, to
better the experience for everyone, to help out the few busy individuals who
devote their free time to get you the news you want?

It's a fan world...respect the fans and their efforts.

Tim and all...keep up the great work for just as long as you like...I'll
continue to make my daily visit to FBTB to see what's new.

Matt