 Star Wars / 10495
10494  |  10496
Subject:
Imperial Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 20:20:45 GMT

Before I go into a small problem I had with the shuttle, here's my thoughts:

It's a really cool set!  The thing is almost entirely white, which is a good
contrast against the black and blue tie fighters available.  The top fin is
much more stable than it looks, and the model can be easily lifted by it. The
cockpit is slanted downward with click-hinges, which is a good thing because
when tilted down, it goes below the landing gear!  The wings fold up and down,
like in the movie.  Moving parts always makes for fun play.  I read complaints
about the little "sled" that slides into the back, but I think that given the
model, it works great!  The emperor and his guard fit just fine, and can be
easily put into the shuttle.  Again, more play-value there.  Also, the back
(for engine flare) has translucent 1x2 grilles in a color I've never seen, like
a turquoise or something.  I think that's a neat touch.

Overall, I recommend the Imperial Shuttle not only because it's an Imperial
spaceship (I LOVE the classic badguy vehicles) that's well built.  There is no
technic pin stuff, like with the TIE Fighters (though I like being able to pop
the wings off the TIEs, just like in the movies!)  And it comes with the
Emperor and a pair of Royal Guards (my fav. baddies when I was a kid).  Oh, and
a smiling shuttle pilot (why does he have the generic smiling face?)

Okay, here's my complaint: I read on the list about the same problem I am
having ... I'll elaborate:

When try to fully unfold the wings, the last hinge-click can't be reached.  So
you wind up with the wings halfway between two clicks (and they have a tendency
to bounce back up and click into the wrong place).

So my question is ... Is the next-to-last click (a hair less than 90 degrees)
where it's supposed to be?  Or is this an error in LEGO's model?  The piece
that's blocking he full extending is a 2x10 plate that helps hold the wing to
the hinge.  There are only two little areas that could be removed (like cutting
out little one-stud notches) but I don't want to cut into my legos.

I moved the 2x10 plate away from the hinges one stud so the wings could extend,
but it doesn't look as good.  Anyone else have a better solution?

Of course, the next-to-last click may just be where the wings are supposed to
be and I'm remembering the movie wrong ... it's not like the shuttle had lots
of screen time ... :)