 Star Wars / 10138
Re: Lego AT-AT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Christer Rud Stoltz writes:
I was indeed. I figured giving it a top speed around 30 m/h would do nicely -
don't you think ?? :). Thanks alot for your reply - I figured that the legs >and neck would be the two toughest challenges, but making it walk.... -
interesting idea!
Christer

Now you're making fun - and DaveE doesn't believe it's possible.  Well, I've
always started with the walking mechanism and built the detail on to that.
If you don't believe me, look here:

http://www.joefish.cwc.net/bricks/scifi/atat/

That's why my models aren't up to full minifig scale or in too much detail.
The first one was short and very wide, with a very short stride.  Then I
realised I could use the upper thigh as a lever to make a longer stride, and
came up with the second model - large enough to fit a minifig in the cab,
and a walking motion quite like the real thing (except for the knees).

Then Lego did the Dark Side Developer's Kit AT-AT, with knees.  Well, I
could see it wouldn't walk much like an AT-AT, and someone at TVLF accused
mine of wobbling too much (but have you seen a DSDK AT-AT walk - yuk!).

So, at the bottom of the page you can see two shots of my latest walking
mechanism, now up to 14 inches tall and awaiting some bodywork.  All these
models have been driven by a single motor, and this latest one is my first
to carry it's own batteries.  At some point I'll get a Mindstorms RCX and
try for an even bigger one.

Jason Railton