 Star Wars / 10121
Re: Lego AT-AT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:30:54 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
You can find a great set of blueprints of the AT-AT in the Essential Guide
to Vehicles. They've got a side, front, and rear blueprint. (I recently
found a mistake on the blueprints too!) They've got the side blueprint
online at starwars.com, but not the front and rear blueprints unfortunately.
Also, I have some photographs of an AT-AT model (non Lego) at:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/atat/ref/
DaveE

Great pictures Dave!  I might crib from them a bit too.  Where did that
model come from?

Having built two AT-ATs myself (now working on a third version), I can say
the feet are the hardest part - two concentric circles, and the rolling
joint on top is just insane.  I just cop out and use square feet with slopes
for toes.  However, since I've got more inverted grey slopes than regular
ones, I build the feet upside-down.

As for the rest of it, it's just a case of how accurate you intend to be.
The real problem with Star Wars vehicles is that there are no right angles.
So, if you want an accurate model, you need to devise some ingenious ways of
joining walls together.  You can build it all in bricks, but I prefer to use
plates for the sides.  They're easier to fit at strange angles, lighter, and
save a lot on bricks.  However, they can make the model a bit flimsy.

You'll have to sacrifice some detail on the head - it's just a question of
how much.  And as for the neck - improvise with whatever comes to hand really.

That only leaves the walking mechanism - you were planning to make it walk
weren't you?  :)

Jason J Railton
http://www.joefish.cwcom.net