 Sports / 245
Re: What torso looks the best as a soccer shirt?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:35:12 GMT

In lugnet.football, Kevin Cheng writes:

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message
I dunno about the curves, it seems they will be a very challenging part of
the building. Are you depicting an actual stadium, say "Arena"? ;-)

ArenA is almost impossible(at least for me) to make in a minifig scale since
it is too rounded.
Mine is more like Philips Stadion (PSV) since it is more "square".

I see... making concessions to the arch-rival, huh? :-P
As long as it is not "De kuip"... (well, THAT one would be an insane exercise!)

What I can suggest is a different approach: the curve is more often seen • in
older stadiums, the sort that had athletics tracks between the field and • the
stands. Now, with the recent policy of making stands "on top" of the • field,
the curve has become somewhat obsolete; instead of a large curve, what we
see is either a small quarter curve on each corner (a nightmare for
modelling), OR diagonal stands (for instance, 45º oriented), OR no stands • at
all on corners. This latter option includes all the derivatives of the San
Ciro stadium, where corners have massive staircases + facilities. Boavista
FC stadium renewal has opted for this solution as well, it's very • convenient
to save space in expensive downtown areas.
Making a curve... I suppose you can approach a curve reasonably well with
structures similar to the ones seen in LEGO fair rides, IIRC there is a • link
in .technic. But that option will forcebly affect the scale of the • stadium,
the more "curvish" you want it, the bigger the stadium will have to be. It
will be sturdy, though.

Yeah, the one I tried is "huge", and it seems too big for my little
town..LOL.  Basically in the end it will be 240 x 192 (studs) big including
the field.

Remember, it is not the stadium that is out of scale, LEGO houses are small
instead! Build BIG, don't worry about the city around it too much (you can
always build a large warehouse-like facility between the stadium and the
city, so that the size difference isn't too noticeable)

Are you constructing the stadium using modular components, BTW?

What do you mean by modular components?

This:
Great when it's time to move it around to show at festivals and such!

Pedro