 Sports / 243
Re: What torso looks the best as a soccer shirt?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:41:32 GMT

In lugnet.football, Kevin Cheng writes:

"Pedro Silva" <el_gordo@netc.pt> wrote in message
Coke is the sponsor for both those teams? I know they suppost Brazil's
national squad, but what about other teams? Coke might be interested in
offering this same promo locally wherever they have a sponsored team - • LEGO
would be delighted!

Pedro

Nope, Coke isn't the sponsor for neither team but the shirt design kinda
looks like the Ajax shirt.
I know Coke is the sponsor for a couple Mexican teams though, and I remember
seeing Coke on the Boca Junior practice shirts too.

There is plenty of room for making this promo worldwide, then. It can only
be good both for LEGO and Coke (and the teams, doh! ;-)

BTW, had anyone ever made a large scale soccer stadium before?  I'm still
trying to figure out how to make the curving corner stands.  Right now I've
only finished 1 part of the stadium and it already cost me a bundle, LOL.
I've finished the main lower section of the stadium(the side where players
come out of the tunnel) and it has 272 seats.

I dunno about the curves, it seems they will be a very challenging part of
the building. Are you depicting an actual stadium, say "Arena"? ;-)
What I can suggest is a different approach: the curve is more often seen in
older stadiums, the sort that had athletics tracks between the field and the
stands. Now, with the recent policy of making stands "on top" of the field,
the curve has become somewhat obsolete; instead of a large curve, what we
see is either a small quarter curve on each corner (a nightmare for
modelling), OR diagonal stands (for instance, 45º oriented), OR no stands at
all on corners. This latter option includes all the derivatives of the San
Ciro stadium, where corners have massive staircases + facilities. Boavista
FC stadium renewal has opted for this solution as well, it's very convenient
to save space in expensive downtown areas.
Making a curve... I suppose you can approach a curve reasonably well with
structures similar to the ones seen in LEGO fair rides, IIRC there is a link
in .technic. But that option will forcebly affect the scale of the stadium,
the more "curvish" you want it, the bigger the stadium will have to be. It
will be sturdy, though.
Are you constructing the stadium using modular components, BTW?

Pedro