 Space / 905
Re: No new space sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 00:42:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.space, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:

There is something in the starwars licence that forbids TLG from
making other space sets while they are making starwars sets.

Do we have definite information about this, or is it only speculation?

I've heard this rumor many times before on the newsgroups, but as far as
I remember, noone has claimed to know for sure that this is so.

Of course, if a rumor hangs around for too long, it becomes a fact.

Fredrik

I don't remember this falling out "rumor" category into
"fact" category.

The first person who said this, remind us why.  LEGO didn't seem
to have a problem introducing Insectoid sets the same year as the
Star Wars sets, or the new town space-shuttle-esque line.  And
Rock Raiders looks pretty "spacy."  That's two (or three lines) of
Space Toys being sold in the Big Year for Episode One sets.

I can imagine Lucas placing limits on what LEGO could do with
the Star Wars universe (ie "we have to approve all sets, you can't
go making up your own themes and inserting the Star Wars
characters in them, etc") but I can't really imagine Lucas demanding
(or LEGO agreeing) that they can't make (or sell, presumably the
real point) other space sets.  They already have been, the whole time.

I suppose we could give the rumor credence by saying that the 2000
sets show no new space lines being introduced ... and that's true,
as far as we can tell, but I just see it as LEGO going with what
sells.

Remember when Aquazone came out?  It sold like GANGBUSTERS.
And so what happened?  For the next four years they kept introducing
more underwater sets.  More aquazone sets in all sorts of new
themes, entirely new-but-similar lines (Divers), etc.  Then, the
idea finally ran out of steam and they stopped doing that.  When an
idea stops making them money, they'll stop using it.

Space makes them money.  They've known that since 1977, and
last year it had to be their biggest-selling line, judging
from what they've decided to do THIS year (which is .. sell
more and more Star Wars stuff).  So this year, they're going
with what sold so well in 1999 - more Star Wars toys, with
practically half the catalog devoted to Star Wars
stuff.  But with the gaps between movies, who knows if they will
maintain that momentum or re-introduce a separate space theme.

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars sets *are* Space sets in everything
but their set numbers.  And they're wonderful ones, too.  I'm not
displeased at all that LEGO is concentrating on Star Wars for a while.

But I sure would like to know the origin of the "LEGO can't sell
competing Space sets" rumor and how much veracity the AFOL
community gives the rumor, and why.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

Perhaps RTL started it; someone posts a message, which is misread, etc.

BTW, I totally disapprove Insectoids, Rock Raiders, and Arctic.  They suck!
Star Wars is far more promising, as it's one of the few unjuniorized themes,
according to posted messages.  Perhaps I can use the components of SW sets, to
add to my supply of space Legos.  I buy sets for parts, and not to build them
as TLG instructs.  Since I haven't yet had much of a chance to get a SW set,
I'll ask right now how good the parts are:  How useful are SW parts?  Can I
finally stop looking at Baylit and Vault prices, and buy a SW set for good
parts?