 Space / 638
Re: M:Tron VS. Ice Planet.............
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:08:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Knowles writes:
M-tron vehicles, while well equipped
for space travel (where it is also very cold) would be unable to function well
in such a place.

Andrew

Nitpick---

It is not cold or warm in space. It is a near vacuum. Hot or cold refers to
the amount of kinetic energy in the particles of matter (I can't remember what
that "shaking" is called maybe random kinetic energy?) There's just not enough
bits of stuff in space for caloric energy to be transferred. The problem in
space is actually getting rid of excess heat because solar radiation and such
that hits an object (like a spacecraft) heats it up, but there is no where for
that heat to dissipate. One way is a heat sink, another is a radiator fin that
gets hot enough to radiate the heat out as em radiation.

Chris (reading too much Larry Niven) Lannan