 Space / 40638
Re: NASA IS GOING BACK BABY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
In lugnet.space, Larry Lesser wrote:
HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- NASA's plans for returning people to the moon -- an
objective called for by President Bush in 2004 -- includes establishing a
permanent outpost that would be used to prepare for a manned trip to Mars.

Holy billions and billions, Sa-gan!!!

OK, first, 3 days and no reply to the BIGGEST NEWS of this decade??  What's up
with that, folks?  Are there no more .spacers here?

It should be interesting to see what NASA does, but what I'm hoping for is NASA
becoming irrelevant to space travel.  That is, I'm hoping that manned commercial
space activity passes NASA sometime in the next decade or two.

Why?  Same reason we don't see NASA building passenger airliners and operating
the national airline in the US.

I'll bet the Nation of AFOL could show them a thing or two about building
moonbases.  Who knew there was a lunar architecture team?  I dreamed about that
in college all the time, and would have given anything to be part of that.  Now
I see that it's becoming a reality.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.  NASA's approach seems a bit
expensive (building their own launch vehicles and building a lunar base from the
beginning of lunar flights), so I think that the Space Station
Freedom/International Space Station history will repeat itself once again.

I agree with Larry - let's roll out the real moonbase magic here.  We live in
awesome times.

Check back in 10 years and see what NASA has really done.  As a boy I read book
after book about NASA's plans for Apollo/Saturn after the initial lunar landings
were done.  That was scaled back until all we got was one throw away station
(Skylab) and one international flight (ASTP).

Jeff