 Space / 40794
Re: NASA IS GOING BACK BABY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:41:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeff Findley wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Larry Lesser wrote:
   HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- NASA’s plans for returning people to the moon -- an objective called for by President Bush in 2004 -- includes establishing a permanent outpost that would be used to prepare for a manned trip to Mars.

Holy billions and billions, Sa-gan!!!

OK, first, 3 days and no reply to the BIGGEST NEWS of this decade?? What’s up with that, folks? Are there no more .spacers here?

It should be interesting to see what NASA does, but what I’m hoping for is NASA becoming irrelevant to space travel. That is, I’m hoping that manned commercial space activity passes NASA sometime in the next decade or two.

snipped
   Jeff

Indeed! New Mexico has approved land for Virgin Galatic to build the first international spaceport. Virgin Galatic is even taking applications for employees. http://www.space.com/news/051213_virgin_galactic.html

Commercial enterprise will drive down costs and increase accessibility far faster than NASA can hope to. That’s a good thing, cause it means the dollars come from willing consumers rather than begrudging taxpayers. When was the last time you heard taxpayers telling the government “Tax us more, we want more exploration!”

Don’t get me wrong, NASA is great, and we need them to do what they do. But just as early aviation and rocket power was led by the government, then overtaken by the private sector, that needs to eventually happen to space travel and exploration as well.

However, since the US did not sign the 1979 UN Moon Treaty, businesses that land there may find themselves paying extensive property tax to the federal goverment for access to ‘federal land’. After all, it was US federal employees that planted the US flag on that soil. Such a long standing, undisputed claim will be hard to fight.