 Space / 40783
Re: NASA IS GOING BACK BABY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 01:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.space, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.space, Nathan Todd wrote:

Same reason we see Antarctica being populated and developed largely by
commerical interests... except wait a minute... it's not :-).

Just wait till we need the water...

Actually, exactly the point I was trying to make (you just made it shorter). If
there's an economic or resource-driven reason for doing something, commercial
interests do a great job. But if you want to go somewhere, trying to invent
commercial reason to get stockholders to do it is tricky*. Cart before the horse
thingy.

Actually space manufacturing will likly be a big business sooner (as in the next
few decades) than people might think. Due to the "instant" cooling space permits
it is possible to make super strong alloys that are physically impossible to do
on earth because they seperate before cooling. As tourism leads to better
"rocket-ships" and thus reduces costs, manufacturing will not be far behind.  If
nothing else a tank that cannot be breached by any current weapon we have would
be at the top of the defence department's wishlist.

OK, yeah, I should let it die... sorry, I'll go back to building a moonbase
module or something. :-)

*even when there may be good financial reasons, but they may be investments in
the futures of the stockholders childrens children.

That sounds about right.  If were lucky we will get a glimpse of "the future" in
the same way your average 90+ year-old saw/sees the internet revolution.

-Mike Petrucelli