 Space / 39836
  Steampunk diorama

Hi all, Recently I was looking through the CSF stampunk inspirations galleries and found (URL) this picture>. I thought this was pretty cool since it combined a train, some town and some pipes. Rather than using it for inspiration, I decided to (...) (19 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) The billboard is a bit weak but everything else rawks! It would be cool if we could get coppery colored elements... (19 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) We can get coppery elements, just not many. The copper actually is sand red but it went funny from the shadows/radiosity in the render. As it is, it's similar to the copper you get in the Vikins sets. As for the billboard, I tried really hard (...) (19 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) Very nice theme crossover creation. I like all the pipes and whatnots. Good color selections too. Jonathan (19 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) That's a pretty decent rendition, although I think there's too much gray. Also, that sign on top with the chinese character looks a bit weak. I've done some (URL) kanji signage> myself, and I would have probably done only the bottom half of (...) (19 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

Thanks for your comments Kevin. (...) It's not Kanji, it's Thai :P More seriously though, the writing is only four bricks wide so I had to decide where to compromise. Because I'd used the Star Wars tiles for characters on the poster I decided to (...) (19 years ago, 16-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) It's not Thai, it's Chinese. The first character is "dian", prononce it "dien", it's the character for electricity. The second one, well, the second one, hmmmmmm, heu..... he he, ha. Ahem. Oh the MOC: beautiful! Cheers, JP. (19 years ago, 16-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) You can't fool me! Thai has all those "n"-looking letters. What you should've done is do the poster up with just the letters in the ad. It says "Milk Caramel", and leaves us to wonder why a soldier would be used to advertise candy... (...) (...) (19 years ago, 16-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

Excellent job. Contrary to other opinions, the billboard is really great in my opinion. But here's where I take issue with this... You clearly spent some time putting that model together, but it doesn't look like you spent nearly enough time (...) (19 years ago, 16-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) Thanks for your comments Adrians. I actually did spend some time on the render and got it looking pretty much exactly as I wanted (it is slightly changed for version II but not much). I was going for a render that looked something like a cross (...) (19 years ago, 16-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) Hey--I should have chosen my words more varefully--I hope I didn't offend you. My intention was more in line with: "wow! that's really impressive--it deserves a really amazing render!" Anyhow, my email server is down and apparently losing (...) (19 years ago, 17-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

OK. Now that you've posted, those you have to tell us what you did to get that "gritty" effect! BTW, Cool, model Tim : ) (...) (19 years ago, 17-Dec-05, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) No problem. It was 1am when I responded and I was tired. Interestingly enough that render seems to have divided opinion. (...) Very, very nice. I've put the one you emailed me up in the gallery and I'll add these too if you email them to me. (...) (19 years ago, 17-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

(...) There are two ways I achieve a "gritty" effect. The first and easiest is to open the render in Photoshop or GIMP (which is free software, and wonderful btw--everyone should download a copy), then add a new layer and fill it with greyscale (...) (19 years ago, 17-Dec-05, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Steampunk diorama

With Tim's permission, I made some high quality renders of this scene. They are available here: (URL) Enjoy> (19 years ago, 19-Dec-05, to lugnet.space, FTX)