 Space / 39843
Re: Steampunk diorama
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:44:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Timothy Gould wrote:
   Thanks for your comments Kevin.

   That’s a pretty decent rendition, although I think there’s too much gray. Also, that sign on top with the chinese character looks a bit weak. I’ve done some kanji signage myself, and I would have probably done only the bottom half of it.

It’s not Kanji, it’s Thai :P More seriously though, the writing is only four bricks wide so I had to decide where to compromise. Because I’d used the Star Wars tiles for characters on the poster I decided to mimic it on the big signs.

You can’t fool me! Thai has all those “n”-looking letters. What you should’ve done is do the poster up with just the letters in the ad. It says “Milk Caramel”, and leaves us to wonder why a soldier would be used to advertise candy...

The Kanji you’ve got on that looks good. Does it actually say anything?

Yeah, it says “Heaven’s Kitchen”. When I was putting it together, my brother (who had taken four years of Japanese) kept nitpicking, so I went through a few versions. Then after all that, Dan Sabath got a look at it and said “you know what’s bugging me about your sign?” Harrumph.

As for the grey, I was a bit worried and maybe should have mixed in some sand blue. I was trying for a steel look but perhaps went overboard.

Sand blue would have been welcome. Also, more dark gray and tan and sand red. I thought the building was concrete, but if you were going for steel maybe a better idea would be to use those big tiles for the walls to look like steel sheets riveted together all patchwork-like. Ooh, now I want to try it!

   This pic comes from a charming little site with some steampunk-flavored flash videos and art. You should check it out, and hopefully we’ll make a steampunk convert out of you!

Cheers. I was asking after steampunk stuff this morning and that site has some neat stuff. I’ve been a steampunk convert for quite a while, it just never worked out when I tried it in Lego.

Tim

Yeah, steampunk is rather difficult to get to look right. Loads of research and loads of drab colors seem to be the ticket, though.