 Space / 35423
Steampunk: The Castle Ryu - a zeppelin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:19:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Accept no imitations! Get the real deal and reserve your flight now on the Castle Ryu1. Limited space available. Book Now!

Our friendly crew, comfortable seating and large bay windows will assure that you enjoy your time with us. We have available at no additional charge complete access to two onboard aircraft suitable either for short pleasure jaunts or personal defense. Be the first to the dueling grounds as you fly over your arch-nemesis. Probe his defenses with our fully capable sensor suite. Our captains have all the latest in heads up display and navigation aids to guarantee that your body will arrival at your chosen destination.

Fly the skies with the Castle Ryu.

   Dr. Ryu
Chief Spark
RustyClank.com

About this model

Since I enjoy building Steampunk and have been heavily influenced by the Girl Genius series, I’ve been thinking about a Lego zeppelin for a long time. I have seen several good models 2,3 in my search for a method of building one satisfactorily. I’ve even seen what other people are doing with the the official lego zeppelin body 4. The beginning of the end came a few months ago with the acquisition of the Aero Nomad and my girlfriends purchase of Knockturn Alley where I found out about the bay windows.

The crew is housed both within the body of the zeppelin with the pilot and navigator in the gondola. There are two manned aircraft which have parking in and on the zeppelin body as well as a small ROV operated from the forward crew position. The landing gear is articulated and weight bearing and the lower engines rotate to assist in controlling altitude.

There is a lot of SNOT work in the construction and in places quite a bit rests on two studs. Remarkably, it is still quite strong. This model will be at BF DC in the space room.

Please let me know what you think.

Dan

1
   inspired by Phil Foglio’s Girl Genius. Castle Wulfenbach
http://www.studiofoglio.com/girlgenius/secretblueprints/vol001/01.html
http://www.airshipbooks.com/

2

3

4

Using a Lego zeppelin for a U-Boat body.