 Space / 29070
Re: 4 new ships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:44:08 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Kuester wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Alexander Zwagerman wrote:
   The first generation tanker. Built especially for the astroid belt, hence the engine behind the ship’s smooth hull. Please, do let me know what you think!

Howdy!

I really like some of the things you did on the space tanker, it really stands out to me. It looks very realistic in the minimalistic design, and looks to have good proportionality in the engine/tankers/crew divisions.

With interior pictures still underway, I’ll just say that the ‘cockpit’ of the tanker is tiny to allow plenty of stuff to be transported.

My only question (mostly kidding) is why would someone need a tanker in an asteroid field? hehe...

I thought about this, so I’ll give you a frighteningly serious reply: all kinds of raw material can be mined on astroids. I read in this Charles Sheffield book about mining the astroids how it would be practical to heat up and centrifuge the raw material in order to be able to transport larger quantities with less damage to the interior of the cargo vessel. Also, in the process of heating and centrifuging, the different elements inside a rock will be separated in different layers, making extraction easier. Hence, tanker vessels to transport the goods back to the ver growing masses of humans on Earth who need fuel and other luxury stuff... In the free market even rock rats such as the founders of Ceres Spaceworks want to cut costs and make more profit!

neat stuff, keep up the great work!

I will. Thanx again.

Ceres Spaceworks