 Space / 27178
Re: (not quite) Looking at Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 01:00:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
     Thank you for your description!!  This will actually help; I knew about
those knobs, but I think I had them too tight, and had to keep bumping the
'scope harder than I should have.

     Fully tightened is great for still-shoot photography, as once you've got it
aimed correctly you don't have to worry about it moving.  Fully loosened isn't
good for much beyond rough-aiming, but I suppose it would work for photographing
fast-moving stuff, where you can't afford any lag of movement.  However, for any
fine-adjustment (camera or telescope), it should feel like there is some sort of
hydraulic resistance.  Gentle pressure should make it move, but when you stop it
shouldn't keep moving.

     Thanks for all your help!  I'll have to practice a little as you
suggested to get the hang of it, since right now I'm probably a bit clumsy.

     Yes.  As with everything, practice is half of the equation.  Not allowing
frustration at failure to make you quit is the other half.  Everything else
comes of its own accord.

There is a little spotter scope on the side, but I doubt its accuracy, and so
may need to spend the time to sight it in, if it can be made true enough.

     Those aren't meant to get you dead on accurate aiming.  They're to give you
a general idea of how far off the mark you are.  You aim it so the target
subject is in the center of the spotter, and then you fine-tune your aim with
the full scope.  Yes, it's possible that the spotter isn't very well matched to
the aim of the main scope, so I'd suggest tweaking it according to lunar
landmarks, as they're really easy to locate compared to, well, stars.