 Space / 27152
Re: (not quite) Looking at Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:23:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, David Laswell wrote:
There should be two adjustment knobs to control
rotation and elevation.  In order to accurately aim it, (McSnip)

Purple Dave,
     Thank you for your description!!  This will actually help; I knew about
those knobs, but I think I had them too tight, and had to keep bumping the
'scope harder than I should have.

     Should be higher=higher.  Test it out on the moon or some local landmark
just to be sure.
     Again, thanks!  This echoes Dan's comments above.

I wear glasses; should I take them off to focus an image in?

     It depends.  If you've got astigmatism, then absolutely not.  (spaceySnip)
     There isn't any rubber ring around the lens, but I understand what you're
saying about astigmatism.  So, I'll try to do this keeping the glasses on,
though they seem to get in the way.

Should I move the actual telescope tube itself, and refrain from touching the >lens tube?

     I'm not sure if I understand this, but if there is a focal adjustment knob,
you should use that, and only that, to adjust the focus.  Sliding tubes in and
out lacks accuracy, and bumping them with anything could knock them out of
allignment.
     Here I meant the directional pointing, not the focusing.  You've kindly
answered this above...thanks!

     * Do I need a special camera adapter to take pictures of any images I'm
lucky enough to get?

     Pretty much, yeah.
     Bummer.  I tried last night with my Sony DSC-P51, but could only get part
of an image, and it always seemed to move around too much because I couldn't
hold still enough.  I suppose I'll have to break down and go find an adapter one
day.

(or a very expensive (IMHO) correcting lens.

     Yeah, I'm sure they make those as well, and yeah, they're probably not
cheap.
     I remember looking for one of these when I first got the 'scope.  The lens
cost more than my little 'scope, so wasn't worth the investment at the time.
Maybe one day when I get a bigger, more whiz-bang 'scope I'll get one of them;
of course if it's all that whiz-bang, I won't need one.

     Thanks for all your help!  I'll have to practice a little as you suggested
to get the hang of it, since right now I'm probably a bit clumsy.  There is a
little spotter scope on the side, but I doubt its accuracy, and so may need to
spend the time to sight it in, if it can be made true enough.

     Leg Godt!

Peace and Long Life,
Tony