 Space / 27153
Re: (not quite) Looking at Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 18:09:35 GMT

"Tony Alexander" wrote:
     A few years ago I went to Target and bought a little telescope from • the toy
section:  a Discovery Channel telescope, 300 power, 50 mm; I forget the • actual
manufacturer's name, but it was a real telescope company, and this was • their
lower-end introductory version.  It came with a 3x Barlow lens, a little
right-angle doohickey, and 3 lenses: h20mm, h12.5mm, and f6 mm.  And
instructions, but it's been several years, so God only knows where those • went.
Buying another isn't an option for me; I can barely afford to feed my Lego • hobby
when I'm lucky.

Hi Tony,

Given that your scope is a 300x model, you have a 3x barlow, and your
smallest
eyepiece is 6mm, I think it's reasonable to deduce that your objective (the
big
lens in front) is a 50mm f/12 with a focal length of 600mm.  To determine
the
magnification with any given eyepiece, just divide 600mm by the eyepiece
focal length.  For your eyepieces we get:

20mm: 30 power
12.5mm: 48 power
6mm: 100 power

Just multiply the magnification by 3 when using the 3x barlow.  BTW,
I don't recommend using the barlow for much (if anything), it's just
included to make the top magnification of your scope higher (sorta
like the 120x digital zoom they sell on camcorders nowadays).

For most viewing, the 20mm eyepiece will be your best friend because it
gives the widest and brightest view.  Once you've located the object of
interest, switch to a higher magnification (mostly when looking at planets
or the moon).  Just switch out the eyepiece gently.  You probably have
to refocus given that yours is an introductory scope.

HTH,

Mark