 Space / 27147
27146  |  27148
Subject:
What I Think May Be Correct (Was Re: (not quite) Looking at Mars)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:11:52 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
   Greetings, fellow .Spacers!

-snip

First, how the heck do you aim one of these things accurately at a little dot in the sky and keep it still long enough to see anything?

I don’t have an answer here. I hardly use telescopes; I’ve used my father’s once or twice, but it’s on a stand.

When I use the different lenses, I think that the lower the number the higher the magnification. Is this right, or is it the other way around? I wear glasses; should I take them off to focus an image in? Are the focus settings similar for each different lens, or will I need to exend the lens tube farther and farther for each lens? Should I move the actual telescope tube itself, and refrain from touching the lens tube?

I don’t know about the movements of the telescope, but about the lenses. If the lenses are similar to a microscope’s (I’ve learned about microscopes last year in school, which was torture, but I did good), the higher the number, the more magnified. If the base lens is say, 10, and the objectives are 100, you multiply 10*100 to get 1000X magnifiction.

Do I need a special camera adapter to take pictures of any images I’m lucky enough to get? I understand that the images are upside down and flip-flopped, but believe that to be correctable with image-editing software (or a very expensive (IMHO) correcting lens.

No comment on this.

Please share your experiences and advice with this poor lost skywatching soul. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Peace and Long Life, Tony Alexander CEO, Tw0nCo Enterprises & VERY amateur astronomer wannabe