 Space / 25914
  Why do these things always have to land in dense jungles...?

Greetings, .spacers. There has been an update for those of you who have been following the mysterious events regarding two alien probes, seen (URL) here> and (URL) here>. Almost a month after some 300 sample-gathering probes landed on Earth, Deep (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Why do these things always have to land in dense jungles...?

Nathan (and to all posters :-) ), Do us a favor (on dialup AND high speed)... cut down the file size on those pics. For instance: (URL) is a whoppin' 244K Compare that to: (URL) at a meager 61K Lower resolution pics with minor detail loss (if any) (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, FTX)

  File Size

(...) Okay..I'll try to do that next time...can you give me some tips? (...) Yeah..sneak photos just aren't my thing. Thanks for the help, (URL) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) when it says when you save them as JPEG files what your compression ratio is, usually it's around 90. the lower the number, the less in file size at sacrifice of quality. Rick Hallman (URL) Das-Brick.Org> ... <aim:goim?screenname...e=Hi+Rick! (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) I think you've got that backwards. The lower the number, the less compression, so the better the image quality and the larger the image. The number is the percent compression ratio. At least that's how it works with paint shop pro. I save all (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Different programs may state it in different ways. I use (URL) Irfanview> for most of my general cropping/resizing/batch processing. The JPG slider it offers is given in terms of quality from 0 (lowest quality) to 100 (highest quality). I (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Why do these things always have to land in dense jungles...?

-snip (...) (*sighs*) Not this again. Adrimal Wells, is there any more information of this strange UFO? Spc. Ops. Dead 7 Cap'n Dean Hennen (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) I use Adobe Photo Deluxe on a Mac OS X. Where would I compress my images in that program? (URL) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

In lugnet.space, Nathan Wells wrote: (some major league snippage, with apologies to the previous posters) (...) There's a distinction tha needs to be made here. The compression of a photo is not as important as the overall size of the photo. Keep in (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) I disagree a smaller file size is far more important to me than resolution size. (...) I use Photoshop as well so... When you save as a 640x480 jpeg using a compression of 5, it usually makes the file size 50-80k depending on how busy the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) I always make my images 8 inches across and they still take a while to load. I want my images to be a decent size and quality but have a fast loading time. I noticed if I save my images in a gif file other than a jpeg file it loads faster. If (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Okay...so where is the command where you can change the compression from 10 to 5?? (URL) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Well in the program I am using, Photoshop 5.0, when you go to "save as..." you enter the path and file name and select .jpg and then hit "ok" and before it saves it asks you to set the image quality (that is where you change the compression.) (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) I have to work with printing, so I'm resolution-biased:) (...) That is something that is dependent on the complexity of the image. Large areas of color can be compressed without a problem, but if you have a complex pattern, you could have (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Hmmmm...I can't seem to be able to find that.. (URL) Wait! Aren't Adobe Photo Deluxe and Photoshop different programs?? (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) They are. If Photo Deluxe really doesn't have an adjustment for the JPEG compression ratio, note that you can also do this with the OS X Preview app too. Open your image in Preview, then select the 'Export' option under the File menu. In the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) WOW! Thanks! This has reduced 250 KB image to an 52 KB image! Thanks again! (URL) (21 years ago, 9-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Tom, thanks for that OS X tip...I run OS X at home, but not at work, so I haven't got too much mileage on the newer system. Nathan, most programs made by the same company have functions set up alike. Most:) Joe (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: File Size

(...) Nathan, one thing to note is that PhotoDeluxe was replaced by Photoshop Elements a while back (an Adobe page notes that they discontinued PhotoDeluxe support at the end of '02). Photoshop Elements has a pretty good subset of Photoshop's (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Why do these things always have to land in dense jungles...?

Very nice Photoshop effects. Definitely makes it appear as though it were taken by a night vision lens. My only complaint is that your editing makes it too hard to actually make out the MOC, which may or may not be very cool. As a graphic designer, (...) (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, FTX)

  Re: Why do these things always have to land in dense jungles...?

(...) Where do you work (out of curiosity)? I'm a graphic designer, too, working at a local newspaper (Raleigh News and Observer) Joe Meno (21 years ago, 10-Jul-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build, FTX)