 Space / 25961
Re: File Size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:21:19 GMT

   There’s a distinction tha needs to be made here. The compression of a photo is not as important as the overall size of the photo.

I disagree a smaller file size is far more important to me than resolution size.

   Keep in mind that your camera or scanner scans in an image of a given size (which these days is pretty darn big). What you want to do is to reduce the size ofthe picture so a person can load it quickly and view it without scrolling their window.

I use Photoshop, so I will make an assumption that your program is pretty close to mine. What you want to do is go to the Image Size box (should be in the Image tab) and change your size to something like a 640 pixel width. That will make the picture fit most screens and do a lot toward making your file smaller. If you want to keep your original image, go to Save as... and rename the smaller file you just did.

I use Photoshop as well so... When you save as a 640x480 jpeg using a compression of 5, it usually makes the file size 50-80k depending on how busy the picture is. However when using a compression of 10 it makes an image 200-300k with very little (if any noticable) gain in picture quality. Personally I would consider a 640x480 image in the 50-80k range “optimal viewing”. If it is impossible to keep the resolution size 640x480 then try to make the file size as small as possible.

Example: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=422137

Keep in mind I use a desktop screen resolution of 1024x768 and have a lowly dial-up connection to the internet.

-Mike Petrucelli