 Space / 25438
  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) i think because of all the major scifi shows out there, Star Trek paid the most attention to actual physics and in making their technologies plausible. maybe not probable, but who knows what the future will hold? -Jr.Mar.Hoffman (URL) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) ERg. <choke> Blatch. You're kidding, right? The only one offhand that I can think of which is worse is Star Wars. (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Ack! Heresy! Stone him with light grey BURPS! ;^D Trev (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) I wouldn't say that. Star Wars was intentionally written with cinematic effect in mind. And which is worse, the show that intentionally ignores physics, or the show that tries to obey physics and fails? (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Eesh. Star Trek script writers tend to accept hypothetical physics as gospel truth (with the result that much of Star Trek physics has since been disproven), and a lot of hard-core Trekkies do the same thing with any physics presented on Star (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Bah. If you're going to stone me, at least do me the courtesy of stoning with bricks. :) James (who likes both Star Trek and Star Wars, but has to leave his credulity at the door before watching either. B5 merely makes my credulity give me (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) You're thinking of Babylon 5 right? Phasers, shields, warp drive. HA. real physics there. :P Babylon 5 had interial momentum, the centrifugal concept of gravity, real-space phycis and everything Rick Hallman (URL) Das-Brick.Org> ... (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) If you spin anything around without curving or coming to a complete stop, you'll be sorry. Inertia still applies in space, and at the speeds probably used, a 180-degree spin will turn the entire crew into little puddles on the back of their (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) You're forgetting four things. First, there's no atmosphere, and the main reason for making long banking curves like that is because you can't make abrupt vector changes in an atmosphere. That's not a concern in a near vacuum. Second, no, you (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Nope. You're misapplying inertia. The whole ship, including contents, has inertia. If it is moving, say, 1.25 Km/s (pretty darn quick) in arbitrary direction A, it (and all it's contents will continue to move in direction A, and which (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) He does have a point as far as capital ships are concerned. A Starfury is a one-man ship, and everything I've seen suggests that when a Starfury rotates in flight, the cockpit is pretty darn near the center of rotation, so the pilot can (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Yup. But even a ship like the Hyperion could probably spin in place relatively quickly - certainly not at starfury-like speeds - but I imagine it could still do a 180 within a couple minutes. I strongly suspect, given the shape of Earthforce (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) I was under the assumption you would accelerate after the direction change. Actually, the way this all started, spinning the ship to shoot behind you, is a bit foolish. Unless in a little fighter, there should be guns all around, like a modern (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) The Hyperion (URL) lists> at about 1200 meters. Assuming the center of rotation is the exact center of the vessel, you're swinging 600 meters of steel around the point of rotation, and that's the critical point (after all, you want to make (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Not at all. In atmospheric fighter combat, if I drop in on your six, you've got to shake me long enough to swing around and point your forward-facing guns at me before you can shoot back because you can't fly backwards. Thus, whoever gets (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) While everyone already pointed out that Babylon 5 is the best mainstream sci-fi at actually obeying physics in space, I would like to point out a few additions to the above statement. The Star Trek "science advisor" has an Art degree. Half of (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) -off subject- Not to burst anything, but I think the Hyperion is far less then 1200 meters, due to comparison with the Nova and Omega Destroyers. The Destroyers are 1717 meters long. B5tech.com lists the Hyperion at 1,025, which is slightly (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) Rick, I would have to agree with what happens on B5. Those crazy physics consultants .....always taking real physics into account! :] We're not talking about a Cooper Mini or anything. Something that big simply cannot turn on a dime (slow (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Hypothetical design question

(...) That webpage was the only source I could think of that listed the Hyperion's length, but I was a bit doubtful of the total accuracy of everything. I kinda remember a TNG ep where it was mentioned that the Romulan Warbird (D'deridex) was about (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.space, FTX)