 Space / 25390
Re: Quick review of 7470 Space Shuttle (plus lamenting STAMPs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:06:44 GMT

In lugnet.space, Huw Millington wrote:
I received this from S@H yesterday and finished building it today.

[ snip -- well done review ]

You can see pictures at
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=47319 when moderated.

All in all a neat set.

Huw

Hi Huw and Others,

I built mine yesterday and agree this is a fantastic set.  It's very much like
Model Team, Star Wars UCS, and LEGO Direct's sculptures/famous-planes sets.
Lot's of detail, no juniorization.  You forget to mention the great price point,
too.  826 pieces for US $50! (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm assuming it's a good
value in other countries, too.)

The one thing about this set that's eating at me are the stickers.
Unfortunately, most of the stickers that go on the shuttle are
Stickers-Across-Multiple-Pieces (STAMPs).  I personally collect sets for the fun
of taking them apart and building them over and over again so I have no problems
putting on stickers that touch only a single piece.  That way I can take it
completely apart and rebuild it, and if I do happen to want to use those pieces
in a MOC, I use the piece in a way that the sticker isn't visable or I just
don't use that piece at all.  I never build a set and just leave it built
forever.  If you look at this picture in your gallery, any Space Shuttle nut
(like myself) will immediately notice the lack of markings, no 'Discovery', no
'United States', no flag, no 'NASA', no air-lock, it just looks naked:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/hmillington/Misc/7470/sp1010022.jpg

It kills me to not put the stickers on but I'm afraid if I do I won't be able to
take it apart and rebuild it without causing the stickers to get ruined.  I'm
wondering if others feel the same or if it's just me?  Has anyone found a way
around this dilemma.  For example, I still haven't put the "Santa Fe" sticker
across the front of my Super Chief for the same reasons.  I've examined that one
and found that the five pieces it goes across could be left together as a
pseudo-Piece-made-Of-Other-Pieces (POOP), but haven't yet had the nerve to try
it (probably will next time I build it).  The stickers on the wings of the
Discovery could be handled the same way, since they only go across parrallel
tiles.  What's worse are the other stickers which all go across several pieces
that don't group together nicely as a POOP.  I'm curious to hear what other
folks do in this situation (assuming anyone else worries about these things).

A positive thing about the stickers:  TLC got it right by designing them with
the old Discovery markings that were on the shuttle for STS-31 (which was the
mission with the Hubble payload, as noted on the box):
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/iams/images/pao/STS31/10063561.jpg
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/iams/images/pao/STS31/10063622.jpg

Notice the current markings on Discovery are different:
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-103/images/medium/KSC-99PP-1277.jpg
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-103/images/medium/KSC-99PP-1279.jpg

Kudos to TLC for the great set, and thanks Huw for the review.

Regards,
Paul D.

(cross-posted to .general for a broader audience on my STAMP lamenting)