 Space / 25359
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:50:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:

snipping for space

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/Derot/0derotatinator.jpg

   Very non-traditional shape going here Richie. I quite like how the function has determined the form for the most part...gives it a very industrial feel.

Aesthetically, I think the engine configuration is the strongest point of the model....being assymetrical keeps it interesting.

Being assymetrical helps it corner better too. Subaru is pushing the ‘symetrical AWD’ line hard. Symetry and balance produce stability, but in space, maneuverability can be more important than mere stability. (Although, when the target is a planet, it’s hard for it to outmaneuver *any* ship. The best bet is to hid behind another, larger, body (cf Alderaan vs Yavin IV in SW EpIV)).

   Criticisms? I think the the use of the webbed radar dish and a few of the other ‘formed’ elements detracts from the scale of the ship.

Unfortunately, the CoRAx Phaser depends on the webbed dish. The technology has holes in it - without them, the whole CoRAx Phaser could overheat, and the Capacitor-Relayed-Open-Charge Kinetics system could overload.

   If they were done in solids or traditions bricks with SNOT, I think the effect would be excellent, IMO.

It would be possible, but I’d have to add an external cooling system. I’ll experiment...

   Good to see you jumping into .space.....keep it coming!

Cheers

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique
Somewhere in the South Pacifique