 Space / 25301
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:23:22 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
   I commented that it was convenient to have a Foccault’s Pendulum near my workplace, so I could check from time to time that the earth was still rotating. Others noted that there would be other signs of the earths lack of rotation - the most intriguing was that the earth would explode (really! I didn’t believe it at first, either).

I’d thought that there might be some day/night problems, weather anomalies and so on, but discussion revealed that the earth would, in fact, explode if it stopped rotating. I think the reason given was that gravity would stop.

Could you explane this, please? As you might know, the moon stopped spinning a long time ago (it’s always showing the same side to earth) It hasn’t exploded, and it’s still shifting huge bodies of water (known as tides) here on earth, proving that it still executes gravity.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

FUT off-topic/geek