 Space / 25334
Re: The Derotatinator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 02:46:15 GMT

<snip>
A quick discussion with a more experienced space builder (a
great-grand-admiral,
perhaps?) took place - given this tendency for bodies to explode when they
stopped spinning, a planet 'unspinner' would be a fantastic weapon for space
warfare. I resolved to build a ship to carry such a weapon: Thus, the
[{Derotatinator}] was conceived.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/Derot/0derotatinator.jpg>>

The beauty of the 'unspinner' (or Counter Rotating Axial Phaser - CoRAx Phaser
(or similar)) is that when one decelerates a planet's rotation, {the
energy has
to go somewhere}, and this energy can be captured and stored for powering the
CoRAx Phaser. It may sound a little like perpetual motion, but don't forget: a
planet is being destroyed in the process!

The CoRAx Phaser works on a similar principle to the traditional tractor beam,
but instead of dragging a smaller mass toward a larger one (or vice versa), it
simply creates drag on the object.

The {Derotatinator} uses a Closed Loop Accumulator Parabolic Trap to
capture the
energy released by planetary rotational deceleration. The energy is stored
in a
large Capacitor-Relayed-Open-Charge Kinetics battery system, which can be
directed toward the CoRAx Phaser, or the {Derotatinator's} drive systems.

The drive systems of the {Derotatinator} are also worthy of note. The ship
uses
special engines which have been developed from energy weapons technology by
Professor Hans Balder. The Balder designed Da5H engines are effectively
externally focused high energy weapons, and could be used as such should the
need arise.

The only noted problem with the Da5H's is their excessive noise generation. To
counter this, the derotatinator has been retrofitted with U-Screen technology.
The U-Screen effectively renders the {Derotatinator} a silent runner.

The {Derotatinator} features exo-atmospheric planar vanes (often refered to as
'wings') to ensure optimum manouverability under all conditions.

At present, I am developing a larger version of the {Derotatinator} and CoRAx
Phaser which will be able to 'unspin' bodies larger than planets. I have a
design in mind which will be a true galaxy destroyer...

Golly Gosh Richie.  that is one very mighty weapon.
  Scientist will need to get to work on a U-Screen and/or a Balder da5H
detection system to counter the threat of this weapon.

great work though.  a model to be proud of for sure (and to FEAR!)

Trav (-|-)