 Space / 24330
Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:10:42 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

snip

   but my problem is more than just should i use fins: if i lose fins because they aren’t important in an atmosphere, shouldn’t i also lose the cylinder and cone/dome top? it seems the entire design of a missile is to make it aerodynamic, but what if you remove aerodynamics? what’s left?

Warhead dynamics, for one. You’d need different shapes for different types of projectile, depending on the desired type of impact. Just as an example, HEAT (High Explosive Anti-Tank) missiles use a cone to focus the explosion into a thin jet, allowing the missile to pierce greater thicknesses of armor.

And there’s the issue of loading, where a domed top might assist your crew in readying the missile tubes. I guess it does boil down to aesthetics in the end...

Take care,

Soren