 Space / 24328
Re: Theoretical Question: Missile Design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:47:41 GMT

In lugnet.space, Andrew Lillie wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   i ask because on my fighters i often use “wings” which i call stabilizers. The idea is that having engines farther away from the central axis would make the fighter more maneuverable and stable. “wings” also work well in mounting guns on the wings with that they create an ‘X’ with their gunfire, which makes aiming and hitting enemies easier.

Hmm, well, having the engines farther away from the central axis might make it more manoeuverable (as you could steer in certain directions merely by applying differential thrust), I’m pretty sure it would also cause the ship to be less stable in straight flight. Unless your engines all had idential efficiencies and output, the tiny variances in thrust would necessitate constant minor corrections to remain straight. OK, so perhaps that’s not exactly less stable, but certainly it would be less efficient.

The most effecient way to do that is to have 1 engine and a bunch of rotational thrusters that let you turn to put the engine where you want it.

James