 Space / 24101
Re: The best thing to ever happen to lego...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:19:34 GMT

In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog wrote:
Ok,
I'm really psyched.
All my life I've lamented the fact that lego canopies
have sides on them

http://f24.parsimony.net/forum61776/messages/58783.htm

shows the new 2003 set
4403 Air Blazers 698pc $49.99
the big red helicopter
(you have to scroll down the page to view it)

but notice that the canopies are
4 wide trans-smoke curved canopies,

     I can't remember exactly what they look like from the showroom (and
unfortunately my photo is at a bad angle for viewing the cockpit), but they do
appear to have a curved partial sidewall.  It's better than the old square-cut
canopies, but it won't be quite as unobtrusive as you'd probably like.

according to this post
http://news.lugnet.com/modelteam/?n=943
the new set(s) are in Model Team

     That would be incorrect.  First of all, the post says they are MT "in spirit", which is a bit different from being   The Model Team line has not been officially resurrected, and someone pointed out that these don't have as much detail.  I think I have to disagree on the yellow truck, though, which has an impressive amount of features, and more realistic looking body panels:

http://www.maskofdestiny.com/archiveimage.asp?i=2662

     Regardless, these three sets fall into the Advanced Designer sub-category
of the Make & Create group.

but there is no mention of them on lego.com
even though I have a print catalog that has all three of them
(4402, 4403, 4404)

     They're supposed to be June releases, and since the S@H catalogs are
printed quarterly, they probably didn't want to hold off on them until the next
catalog ships, but their absence on the S@H website suggests they aren't quite
ready to ship yet.  I'm a bit confused about that, since the Rahkshi (July
releases) have all shown up in some way or another.

does anyone know anything about these sets/pieces

     The pieces?  No.  The sets, on the other hand:

3x Advanced Designer: June release (evidentally not early like the SW/Bionicle
sets)

4589 RC Nitro Flash: Listed in LUGNET's database as a 2002 release.  I can't
find an entry for it in either the 2002 or 2003 Product Book, and I'm not sure
why it was omitted (the Toa Nuva were July 2002, but they got carried over into
the 2003 PB since they weren't listed in the 2002 PB).  Regardless, it first
listed in the Summer 2002 S@H catalog, so you might be able to still find it at
retail.  Unfortunately, there's no Peeron inventory for the set, and I can't
find any matching canopy pieces either, so they might not have been used in
other sets yet.