 Space / 23468
Re: Classic Space Lunar Explorer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 15:47:47 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
Hi all,

Here's a little vehicle I made last week, my Classic Space Lunar Explorer:
http://www.ozbricks.net/bricktales/misc/space/buggy/buggy.html

I think of this as being in a line of vehicles with Mobile Tracking Station 452
and Mobile Lab 6091:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/452_1
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6901_1

The design started with the roof.  I was looking at those two odd slope pieces
from the Millenium Falcon:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2876
and thought they'd make a great roof.  I wanted to make it studless, and also
put on some sort of radar or weapon.  Then I moved to the windshield.  First I
tried the bubble dome: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x102 but that didn't
look right, so I went with two of this car winshield:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3823
I thought about putting the door in the back, but that made it really
impossible to photograph the interior or move guys around, plus, the two
Classic Space vehicles I cited above also have whole walls that swing open to
reveal the interior.
One cheat, the tank treads are actually from a clone brand.  -hangs head in
shame-  I don't have any true Lego treads.

Bruce

Bruce,
This thing is actually kinda cute.  To me you captured the Classic Space
aesthetic and I really like the boxy-ness of this vehicle.  The detailing is
simple and not overdone.

-Andrew

GardenSLUG