 Space / 22678
  Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Hi everyone, After moving house and starting a course in electronics engineering, my Lego building time has been a little on the non-existant side. I got inspired after looking over some cool space stuff on brickshelf and decided to go ahead with a (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space) !

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) I don't know what to say except ... wow! I love it. Are those suction cups on the front, to latch on to a ship's hull? Dude ... wow. That's incredible. I know saying "wow" over and over again isn't quite the feedback you had in mind, but, uh, (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Zac, Wow, I like this, it has everything; back story, desriptive text and a cool MOC. It's refreshing to see something besides the usual fighters. It reminds me of Alvin, with the color scheme and manipulator arms. Thanks, George (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Zac, This is an exceptional MOC. You did a great job with the detailing of tools and thrusters while at the same time keeping it clean. (the thruster packs on the sides are really neato). Best thing is the clean color lines. Makes me think of old (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Zac, This ship is really great: neat function and design! I like the detailed yet uncrowded engines and the panel above them. I too think the thruster packs are spiffy. Keep up the excellent work! ciao&salaam -Andrew (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Good balance of color, and very functional-looking. Well done. ~Grand Admiral (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Thanks Jeff, The mechanisms that you refer to are actualy just buffers on hydraulic stems to absorb shock when the vehicle is pushing large vessels. Perhaps some pilots could retrofit them with magnetic systems for latching... Thanks, Zac (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Hi George, I'm glad you liked it. In my opinion a good MOC also needs a good backstory and descriptions to say exactly what the createor intended certain features to be - not all parts of a space model are always self descriptive :) I was (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Hi there, Chris, I'm quite flattered that you like it. The tools took a few goes to get right, however the thrusters took their current shape almost immediately. I suppose that's the beauty of a detailed sketch before construction :) Whilst (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Hi Andrew, The Mantaclaw started life as a concept of a utility vehicle that would have all of these arms unfold from its underbelly. The primary thruster area took a few attempts to get right. It was orininally quite crowded but I decided to (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

(...) Thanks Mark, It is amazing how big a difference just the selection of colours and even more the way that they are implemented can change a model's aesthetics completely. Keep on building, Zac (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Oh, wow. This is a masterpiece of utilitarian Lego. I just love the way you did the shape. It gives it the right feeling of a clunky but somehow elegent service vehicle. I love all the details, such as the thruster blocks and the arms, and the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

I've always loved tugs and other spacedock ships...this one definately rates as one of the best I've seen. Aside from the wonderful use of greebs, articulated bit and such, I think what really makes if for me is the sloped & hinged red walls of the (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Hey JHK, A masterpiece eh? Gee thanks :) Yeah I can't remember where the idea for the shape came from. But I remember drawing it and thinking "cool!". I was actuallt a bit scared when I stareted working with the off angles - I started off with (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Wow, thanks Gil, I must say you are one of the best people around for feedback (and not because you speak so highly of my MOC). The best you've ever seen - wow! I completely understand this connection between the design and modern day machinery but (...) (21 years ago, 9-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

oh yeah very cool luv the colors and the way you used the hinges on the top of the rear piece to get that pyramid look very non-perpendicular i like that a lot thx for the look-see -paul (...) (21 years ago, 12-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw

Thanks Paul, Yeah on-perpendicular-ness is what I feel to be the key to successful space MOCs. As mentioned by Gil, the pyramidal shape gives way to the feeling of a utility vehicle which is what I was going for. As you have proved, research is the (...) (21 years ago, 13-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)