 Space / 22737
Re: Warping in with a new MOC - the Mantaclaw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:40:34 GMT

Wow, thanks Gil,

I must say you are one of the best people around for feedback (and not
because you speak so highly of my MOC). The best you've ever seen - wow!

I completely understand this connection between the design and modern day
machinery but I think it was a subconscious thing. When I think about it, I
would always design utility and cargo vessels this way and I suppose it is
just what your brain expects.

I've actually been thinking of these subconscious recognition techniques in
the form of modern day aircraft. There is a particular style that comes
through on the design of fighter jets and such and I have been analysing of
it for duplication on a fighter or mech.

As a matter of fact, this seems to be much of what good Lego design is all
about - a few people such as Shaun Sullivan and some of the Japanese guys
have it down pat but I believe it is both:

a) Refinement of your own building technique.
b) Subconscious understanding of design trends/styles.

Of course, both of the above factors will influence eachother so it is all
about creating a perfect medium between the two.

That's my little spiel - good to get it out :)

Looking forward to some new stuff from you too!

Thanks,

Zac

In lugnet.space, Gil Shaw writes:
I've always loved tugs and other spacedock ships...this one definately rates
as one of the best I've seen.

Aside from the wonderful use of greebs, articulated bit and such, I think
what really makes if for me is the sloped & hinged red walls of the back
compartment.  A look at modern day heavy machinery displays this rhombus
design and normally houses all the guts and gears.  Incorporating it into
this model is brillant....gives it that connection to the present that makes
it's purpose immediately recognizable.

Cool stuff.

Cheers,
-G

In lugnet.space, Zac Soden writes:
Hi everyone,

After moving house and starting a course in electronics engineering, my Lego
building time has been a little on the non-existant side. I got inspired
after looking over some cool space stuff on brickshelf and decided to go
ahead with a design that I'd sketched out around a year ago.

So here it is, the Mantaclaw Space Service Vehicle:

http://www.ozbricks.com/battlespace/mantaclaw.htm

The model was half an experiment in building with "minimal visible studs"
techniques. I think it turned out quite nicely.

Feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!

Zac Soden