 Space / 21450
Re: Crow's Nest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:38:24 GMT

Jeff,
     VERY elegant use of space, with true three-dimensional thinking.  This
looks like it could be the answer to one of those problems professors used
to throw out in architecture school.  I'm also impressed with provisions for
the crewperson's continued physical and emotional wellness:  the flywheels
and ability to exercise, the window to provide a visual link to the real
world, and the bio-refiltering to conserve resources while at the same time
providing for crew nutritional needs.
     I agree with Kevin that this observation post "demonstrates what life
in space really would be like: cramped, lonely, and disorienting!" given
what I've seen of real-world spacecraft like Apollo, the shuttle fleet, Mir,
and the ISS.  Yet I have to hold out hope that one day there will be
"vaccuum planners", architects/engineers who will work to make space life
comfortable for humanity.  While I think we're a long way from artificial
gravity and Enterprise-D luxury, I do believe it to be possible to provide
comfortable living design for outer-space pioneers.
     Your three-dimensional use of unorthodox planning space by making the
ceiling a bedroom area (and safety hatch cover) is perhaps a nod in that
direction.  I'm very impressed, and hope to see more.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander